This is a healthy version of the children’s favourite. Not only is it low in fat and higher in fiber, it tastes so good the family won’t even notice!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (see note below)
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp seasoning salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
To make the whole wheat bread crumbs, I keep crumbs and ends from loaves of whole wheat bread in the freezer. Then it is there and ready to use whenever I please. However, they can also be made in a hurry by toasting slices of whole wheat bread, letting it cool for about an hour until it crumbles easily.
- In a large bowl, add the beaten egg mixture. In another bowl, add the bread crumbs, flour, and spices.
- Dip each chicken strip into the egg mixture, and then coat it in the flour mixture. Be sure to coat the chicken evenly and liberally.
- Place strips on a non-stick baking dish and cook at 325 degrees for 20 min. Serve with BBQ sauce or a low-fat dipping sauce. Make your own by combining 2 parts honey with 1 part Dijon mustard.
click here for nutrition info