- Forgiving Food Processor Pastry
- 4 large apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Cream and sanding sugar (optional)
Forgiving Food Processor Pastry
- 1.5 cups all purpose four
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
- Combine flour and salt in food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add cream cheese and butter, and pulse for 30 seconds to 1 min or until dough comes together in a loose ball.
- Shape the dough into a flat disc about 1 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 3 minutes before using.
- To use the pastry, leave it at room temperature until it’s pliable enough to roll. Depending on the weather, this can take 30 minutes (summer) to 3 hours (winter). If frozen, thaw it in the fridge first, then leave on the counter until pliable.
Directions for Galette:
- Preheat the oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the pastry into a 14-in circle on a lightly floured countertop, using a lightly floured rolling pin. Loosen the pastry from the counter by gently sliding a thin metal spatula underneath it, then transfer to the prepared sheet.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples into a large bowl. You should have about 8 cups. Sprinkle the sugar and cornstarch over the apples and stir very well. Pile this mixture into the middle of the pastry and smooth it out, leaving a 2-in border. Fold the pastry border up over the filling, pleating as necessary. If you like, brush the folded-over pastry with a little cream, then sprinkle it with coarse sugar.
- Bake 15 min, then reduce heat to 350 and bake another 20-25 min or until crust is golden and filling is very bubbly. Let stand at least 1 hour before serving.
Excerpted from Dinner, Uncomplicated: Fixing a Delicious Meal Every Night of the Week by Claire Tansey. Copyright © 2020 by Claire Tansey. Photography by Suech & Beck © 2020. Reprinted by permission.